We have learned in our school days about essential nutrients, especially the Vitamins and the disorders due to their deficiencies. As you know, generally the Vitamins are classified to water soluble and fat soluble vitamins. Vitamin B and C are the water soluble ones. Remember, they do not accumulate in the body as the excess are washed away in urine. Which Vitamin among B do you think is the most popular? Obviously it is Vitamin B12. Unfortunately it is very common that people suffer from its deficiency.
This is only available in animal sources of food. That means, generally the vegetarians are in risk of being deficient for Vit B12, unless they have food fortified with it. It is crucial for you to know its health benefits. Let me try to list down a few here.
Top health benefits of Vitamin B12.
- Mental Health: Improves the mental health. It helps in regulating Homocysteine levels, which is linked to cognitive impairment and brain function. Supplementing with B12 can improve symptoms indicating delirium.
- Memory loss prevention in elderly.
- Prevention of Pernicious Anemia.
- Production of RBC: Latest studies indicate that supplementation with B12 does reduce fatigue and tiredness.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease: Due to its regulating effect on Homocysteine.
- Reduces the chance of Colon Cancer: Studies have shown its effect on preventing colon cancer in individuals having genetic predisposition to colon cancer.
- Helps boosting immunity and can be used as part of treatment for hepatitis.
- Reduce the incidence of Birth defects.
- Reduction of Depression.
- Protection against Alzheimer’s disease.